There’s no doubt you’ve heard of Take Your Child to Work day. Now, you can bring your other child – the one with four legs – into the office. Take Your Dog to Work Day recognizes the many benefits of owning a pet.
This growing trend (it’s been around since 1999) celebrates pets and encourages adoption. This year, Take Your Dog to Work Day is June 22.
Health benefits from our four-legged friends:
- They help you chill out. “Holding a pet triggers a relaxation response,” says Alan Beck, Sc.D, director of the Center for the Human-Animal Bond at Purdue University. Not only are you more relaxed, you’re also less worried because you’re “focused on the present.”
- Pets make you happier, help with depression. Studies show that interactions with pets release “feel good” brain chemicals serotonin and dopamine. With this release or increase of serotonin (the chemical linked to depression), people become more mentally alert, have improved sleep and may be less sensitive to pain, according to a South African study, reported on by MSNBC.com.
- “People experience less stress when their pets were with them than when a spouse, family member or close friend was nearby,” according to a study reported on by Women’s Day.
- They help decrease your blood pressure, triglyceride and cholesterol levels, according to the CDC.
- Dog owners get more exercise, according to several studies featured on NIH.gov. They’re “more physically active and less likely to be obese.”
- The NIH studies also found that pet owners are friendlier because pets (dogs, in particular) “help[s] you stay socially connected.” This is important because social relationships are linked to longer, mentally-healthy life.
- They lend a helping hand. Service dogs can be trained to detect blood sugar levels as well as assist with a multitude of disabilities. (Remember our cover story?)
In 2011, roughly 1.4 million pet owners brought their dogs to work every day, according to American Pets Product. Here’s a list of employers that let dogs clock in every day:
- Authentic Entertainment
- P&G Pet Care: This label owns brands including Iams and Eukanuba.
- Ben & Jerrys
- Humane Society headquarters
- Clif Bar & Company
Will your office celebrate Take Your Dog to Work Day on June 22? Let us know. And visit Pet Sitters International’s Take Your Dog to Work Day announcements page to learn how pet owners celebrated with pets all week (from June 18 – 22).